UNDER 18 and UNDER 12
Thursday-Friday 28-29 September 2017
LIGHTNING CHAMPIONSHIPS: Friday afternoon 29 September [see below]
Note: Don't be put off by the word "Championships" – you don't have to be a champion to enjoy playing!
Eligibility: Players must be members of the NSW Junior Chess League and under the age limit (under 18 or under 12) as on the first day of the tournament.
For membership details click HERE.
Venue: North Ryde Community Centre, 201 Coxs Road, North Ryde (between Lane Cove Road and Wicks Road). See MAP.
• By train: 1.3km (16 minutes' walk) from Macquarie Park Railway Station [use East exit from station, turn left at top of escalators and proceed south-west along Lane Cove Road, turn left into Coxs Road].
• By bus: For bus details see MAP.
• By car: park in Coxs Road or in carpark opposite (limited time parking) or in nearby streets.
Phone: 0403 962 442 (emergency only).
Canteen: available for lunch and light refreshments.
Time: Registration 9 a.m. on the first day of each tournament. Play starts at 9.30 a.m. and finishes approximately 3.30 p.m. Participants must leave or be collected from the venue by 4 p.m.
Number of Rounds: Under 18: approximately 7 rounds; Under 12: approximately 9 rounds.
(digital clocks will be used for both
Under 18: 40 minutes plus 30 seconds per move (from move 1)
Under 12: 30 minutes plus 20 seconds per move (from move 1)
Players unfamiliar with chess clocks will be given guidance and practice before play starts.
Recording: Players are encouraged to record their moves, especially in the Under 18 division.
prizes in the form of vouchers (to be spent on chess-related items):
Under 18: 1st $120, 2nd $80, 3rd $50; Under 12: 1st $70, 2nd $50, 3rd $30
Entry Fees: $35 (plus late fees if applicable – see below).
Entry Deadline: two days before the tournament.
Because late entries and late payments have been delaying the start of tournaments we have been forced to strictly enforce entry deadlines and late fees.
• Late Payment Fee ($10 per family) for entries received, but not paid, by the entry deadline
• Late Entry Fee ($20 per family) for entries neither received nor paid by the entry deadline
Late entries and late payments delay the start of tournaments – please enter (and pay) beforehand. If necessary, late entries will be processed after play starts and late entrants (and latecomers even if already entered) will miss the first round.Please note that although online entries reach us immediately, internet banking payments can take a few days (depending on the bank) and postal deliveries can take from two to five days with Australia Post's new (slower) delivery times introduced this year.
Entries: Entries may be made by one of the following methods:
(1) online via our website (see online entry), or [(1) is preferred]
(2) by post (see entry form), or
(3) by email (Eunice Koh, email@example.com).
Payment may be either:
• by internet banking (or direct deposit at any branch of the Commonwealth Bank)
– see under online entry for banking details, or
• by post with entry form to NSW Junior Chess League, 2 Northcote Avenue, Killara 2071
– make cheque payable to NSW Junior Chess League and write player's name on reverse.
Enquiries: Eunice Koh, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Richard Gastineau-Hills, phone 9498 2760
NSW Girls Lightning Championships
Friday 29 September, starting approximately 1 p.m.
The Lightning Championships will be held in two
Under 18 and Under 12
(or may be combined into one division),
and will commence after the main tournaments have finished.
Lightning Time Limit: 5 minutes per player for whole game
Lightning Entry Fee: $2 (enter and pay on the day)